Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Little Madness. . .


"A little Madness in the spring Is wholesome.. ."-- Emily Dickinson

Spring has arrived in Arkansas, both officially and weather wise. It is hard to believe that the tulip magnolia that was covered in snow only two weeks ago is in its full glory in spite of heavy rains and wind. The little purple flowers that the lawn man calls "winter weeds" and I call spring flowers are thick in parts of my yard. He wants to cut them or spray them or something lethal, but I told him to leave them alone. It isn't as if I had real grass out there, and when you look down on them from the porch it is like a purple carpet.

With all the special services at the church for Holy Week, bookstore sales have been doing very well. I have all the Easter items on sale and have sold nearly all of it, even some of the very tacky things that I thought would never sell.

The NCAA is in town for some of its basketball games and everyone is going wild trying to make a good impression so they will come back again. So March madness is in full swing and I for one am glad. I am too cautious, however, to plant anything yet, I will wait for April 15 as recommended by the Extension Service. That doesn't stop me from drooling over various plants at the garden center and I may be forced to buy something and nurture it on the sun porch until it is safe to put it out.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hello, I just had to speak up (finally) and let you know how much I truly enjoy your journal entires. (Sorry, I still can't say "blog" without the giggles)

Your writing is so prosaic and fluid...your descriptions of the outdoors, beloved animals, your work at the store...it just defies any compliments I could attach to it, but rest assured...you are so engaging and interesting!

Every time I think the internet has run its course; the "bad" out there far eclipsing the good, I find a treasure like this. (Which is to say, twice in fourteen years)

I look forward to many more entries and beautiful photos as well.

Peace & Godspeed,
Elizabeth
"Tamsaunt" fanclub charter member in Austin, TX :^)

elizabeth_adkisson@eml.cc