Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Miscellaneous Musings

We continue to have much rain and cool weather here in Arkansas, most unusual for August. There are some of us that are hoping that we don't get the rest of August in September, but that doesn't stop my enjoying waking up in the morning to the sound of rain. No thunder, no wind, no hail, just soft gentle rain. They do have a flash flood watch on until sometime this afternoon because the ground is beginning to get a little soaked.

I noticed that the great ditch across my front yard has sunken in places, which means I will have to get someone to bring in some dirt and fill it in a little. I may be able to move enough dirt around to take care of the problem. I have transplanted some clumps of Bermuda grass onto the bare dirt from various places in the yard hoping it will cover it. If not, I guess I'll have to sow a little rye grass to keep it from washing away this winter.

The Vestry met Monday night and I have now moved, in the words of our Vicar, from being "unpaid" to being "underpaid." Since I was the one who set the salary, I don't feel particularly underpaid, it is what the Bookstore can support. It is interesting, tho, how now being paid for doing the job changes the dynamic. Before this happened I had a comfortable bank balance and could order anything I thought would be nice for the store. I now have a budget and I have to watch the bottom line pretty closely. It does make me more conscious of what I buy. So far most of my purchases have sold, if not rapidly, at least eventually. I just put in a big order for books for Advent and Christmas and I still have to get some Christmas cards.

I continue to look for a sister for Bella, she hates being home alone. When I come in after work, she is usually lying against the front door waiting for me, particularly if I am later than usual.

The breeder I got her from doesn't have another female right now but expects to have at least one new litter later this year and has said I can have the pick. So maybe I'll give Bella a Christmas present!

3 comments:

Doubtful Muse said...

I think she wants a dog-sister. Arf!

tamsaunt said...

But you have to walk a dog and cats take care of themselves.

Doubtful Muse said...

I know. I'm just generally irritated at kitties this week because Tabitha decided to use my French chair as her preferred place to disgorge her breakfast -- and I could swear she did it on purpose. I wanted to strangle her!