Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Curiosity Singed the Cat


All cats are curious, but I believe my cat, Bella, is the most curious cat I have ever known. She climbs everything in the house. I have had to remove the books and other items from the top shelves of the bookcases because she like to lie there and survey her queendom. She has been shut in closets so many times that she keeps toys there to amuse herself until I come looking for her.


But yesterday I think she got a taste of the results of all that curiosity. I was in the kitchen fixing dinner and had just put a pot on the stove to cook some pasta. She jumped up to see what I was doing and got in the fire. She immediately left the room for parts unknown, and I was left with the smell of burning hair. When I finally found her she was under my bed and it took me several minutes to get her to come out so I could check her. It appears that all she did was singe some hair on her chest, and about half her beautiful whiskers on one side. They are now curled up and strange looking and even this morning she is trying to groom them back into shape.


When I told Mackie about it her immediate question was "will they grow back." I assured her they will but she is going to be lopsided for a while. I hope she has learned a lesson about the stove that I have not been able to teach her before, because my kitchen is open to my sitting room and office and there is no way to shut her out.


1 comment:

John Barber said...

Ooh-I hate the smell of burnt hair. Glad Bella is okay.