Thursday, December 27, 2007

Termite Trouble

A recent inspection of my house revealed I had little critters chewing on part of it. Yesterday the contractor who is doing the repair work came and he and his helper started tearing up the floor and wall in the corner by the fireplace. Bella had to be shut away because she thought she should be intimately involved in all aspects of the operation and I kept going in and out of the room, torn between wanting to know the extent of the damage and not wanting to know.

After about an hour of pulling pieces of eaten wood out, and crawling around in the crawl space with appropriate sounds effects from two men, I finally got the news that the damage was not too bad and was confined to the one area by the fireplace.

They left me with a big hole in the floor, covered by a piece of plywood secured with one screw and with cold air leaking around the edges in large amounts. And I mean cold air, we are in the midst of some days with highs in the high 30s and it was rainy and misty. I finally took an old blanket and poked it into the biggest holes and managed to get the room warm enough that I could stay in it, albeit wearing two sweaters and with two throws wrapped around my legs. I had some work I needed to do at the computer but as soon as I got that finished I went to bed.

This morning they were back to do the actual work and it took surprising little time, they were finished in about 2 hours, although they have to come back tomorrow and put another coat of whatever it is you put on wallboard, and then there will be one more trip to paint the wall (fortunately I have some of the paint), and it should be finished.

The joys of home ownership.

No comments: